23 November 2009

J'adore Kurt Halsey

Now, I normally really love art that is realistic and detailed. My favorite pieces of art are usually photographs and hyper-realistic portraits and paintings. That being said, loving Kurt Halsey is off character for me. His work is cartoonish, but not childish. And where most cartoonists or illustrators hop into bed with Mass Media and exculsively use bright colors, Kurt Halsey's coloring technique is achieved using light ink washes.

I think his pieces are beautiful, endearing, and romantic. They often used text and the words he writes only add to the piece, never detract.

I am not really sure why, but Halsey's work is probably some of the most beautiful art I have ever seen. Not to question its beauty it is just that it is not the type of art I am usually drawn to. My favorite piece of his is Washed away (or at least at sea, assume we are dead).

break my heart. That is my best response to this piece. I think it is simple, beautiful, and lovely. I guess I am just a sucker for love?

2 comments:

Abby Reczek said...

This looks great!! I can't wait to see the finished product. The faces are so cute.

Organic Meatbag said...

Wow, I can so relate to angry water pot guy...