25 January 2010

This is going to sound like the end of a movie.

Dear You,

You have the great pleasure of being my best friend. ever. Like, in life, in general, in all honesty. You are awesome. Super smart, super sweet. And I know right now you are going through a tough time. Like, your whole life, you have been told what to do- by teachers, friends, and especially your parents. And I know that your family is important to you. But you are at the point in your life where, let's face it, you are old enough to be important to yourself. You are a big girl now and no matter what you decide to do, you should be able to do it. Engineering, while it is a successful and growing feild, doesn't make you happy. I of all people should know. I have seen first hand how thoroughly unhappy it has been making you. I mean, not to the point that it soured our relationship, but you just don't like it. And you should see your face when I talk about art. It lights up. You love my friends, and I know that you are genuinly interested in the way that things in the art program. I think you can tell that I really am happy there. I know that you don't want to do art, but I think it makes you happy because you are secretly picturing what your life would be like if you were that happy in your major. That, I think was the main difference between us last semester. Engineering was tough for you, and you dreaded it. While art was hard and stressful, I still loved what I was doing, so I knew I could do it and I would be ok. You should be doing something that, no matter how hard or stressful it is, you still love it.

That is why I am saying- do it. Screw engineering. Screw what your parents think (because last time I checked they weren't Jean Grey so they can't possibly know better what makes you happy than you). Screw what your engineering friends will say and think. Because honestly? If you don't love what you are doing, in the future you will be so astoundingly unhappy and I wouldn't even wish that on Taylor. I mean, yes engineering pays a lot. a lot. like, a lot. (focus). But when you get out of college and start a career and are living your life and whatevs, the money, I think (hope) really won't be what is most important. To me, the supreme goal in life is to be able to lie in bed at night and smile knowing that when you wake up, you are looking forward to a future of something you enjoy as oppposed to dragging yourself to bed, exhausted, spread too thin, and depressed because you have been caged by a career that you hate. And I know you. And I know that you aren't ruled by money. Sadly, some of your friends are. All they see are the dollar signs. And I mean, whatever floats your boat. But just. do it. You would be awesome as an English major. Like, you are so smart and intellectual (repetition.. sorry). You have been writing stories for years (and not to be self servicing) they are delightful. And funny. And you have a very discerning eye. You have always seen the important things I haven't like the traits in guys that translate into the guy being a douchebag through and through. What I am trying to say is, You would sparkle and thrive as an English major.

And the best part is, I think you would love it. I mean, look at Levi. He had to guts to do something unexpected. To do a major that many people scoff at *cough* Ben *cough*. And you know what? I think Levi will be the happier of the two. Because he knows what he loves and that is what he is living. And you should too. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to finally do something for yourself. You have constantly been my backbone, my right hand, my voice of reason. I selfishly burden you with all my woes and complaints, and you always know what to say to make me think and recenter my efforts and emotions. You are always taking care of others whether it be me or your brothers. You should finally do something just for you. I am giving you permission to be selfish.

I know you are worried about your parents. And I can't properly see where you are coming from. I was blessed enough to have parents that didn't freak the ish out when I decided to be an art major. They could have easily said absolutly not and banished me to the hell of an economics major or something. I know your parents will probably be less than thrilled at the major change, but I say- forget them. Teaching or publishing are very worthwhile professions that any person should be proud of. Your parents have no idea what they got when they got you. You are so amazing and smart and whatever you end up doing in life, I know that deep down you will make them proud.

But, really, you have to do this. If it is bothering you this much, and creating this much of riff in your soul- it is legit. It is something that needs to be addressed and something that, I think, really is a turning point in your life. I mean right now you are at a crossroads. To one side is the big cushy road to the top of an engineering company. A lot of people are taking that road, the road of suck ass jobs that make a lot of money. To the other side, is the small less traveled road (see fate, You love you some Robert Frost). A road that not many take, the road that leads to what they love. Come along my love, join Levi and me on that road. Just speaking for myself, we don't nearly have the courage you do and we are on that road and doing just fine. I know you, and I know that you can do whatever you set your heart on whether it be English or telling your parents what is what. so will you join my on this beautiful road lined with hope and the promise of an exciting and fulfilling future? We have candy.

Love, Laura

P.S.- I really just want you to be happy, and I hope this helped.
P.P.S.- I hated circuits in Physics too.
P.P.P.S.- If we both became teachers, we could teach together. (:o)

2 comments:

Alanna-rana said...

Aww, Laura...you are such a wonderful human being. This friend must be verrrry grateful for all that love you have in your heart. :)

jackie said...

That friend is very grateful for all above :) that was really awesome laura and i will treasure that forever. You have no idea what that meant to be, but it meant soooooo much. Thanks for being such an awesome friend who doesnt take any of my crap and knows what i really feel. love you <3