13 April 2010

Auden

The More Loving One
Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I could go to hell
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread of man or beast

How should we like it if stars were to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn
I cannot, now I see them, say
That I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime
Though this might take me a little time.

Ok so, I loveee me some Auden. He is probably my favorite poet/writer across the board. I always say if my soul was a sound, it would be Kings of Leon. But if my soul were words, they would be Auden's. I respond really well to poetry for some reason. It is inspiring and comforting. Auden's work feels like home. Here are some excerpts from some of his other poems that I absolutely adore:

-He was my North my South my East and West
My working week and my sunday rest
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song
I thought love would last forever; I was wrong-

-I'll love you dear, I'll love you
Till China and Africa meet,
And the river jumps over the ocean
And salmon sing in the street.

I'll love you until the ocean
Is folded up and hung to dry
And the seven stars go squawking
Like geese about the sky-

-"O what was that bird, said the horror to the hearer,
Did you see that shape in the twisted trees?
Behind you swiftly the figure comes softly,
That spot on your skin a shocking disease?"-

Isn't he amazing? Auden inspiration all day every day. What inspires you? Good luck to anyone who reads this that applied to get into the BFA at UD.. hope you got in!


No comments: