12 February 2010

It Is Too Early In the Semester For This...

... I am already frustrated. And I have had one class. Math. And I am frustrated about Art. More specifically, Drawing. One 15 minute lecture from Brin, and my mind is in knots. The project is simple enough- draw a still life of things that compliment, have the same function, or complete eachother. Awesome.. so like what? peanut butter and jelly? Nuts and bolts? pepper and salt? All seem so lame. Wherein lies my problem. Last semester I was happily living, not in the friend zone, but in the middle of the pack. Like, I was that fish that swims in the middle so that when the sharks circle, they are the least likely to be eaten alive. While that is safe- it is also super lamespice and comfortable. This semester I really want to break out and actually do great stuff not hokey cheesy stuff like drawing a still life of nails and a hammer because like, duh?! they complete eachother <3. No. No. NO. But I honestly am stuck. All I can think about are the lame, stupid, obnoxious matchy matchy complimentary objects that end up being the victims of gooey relationship metaphors (you are the star to my burst, the peanut butter to my jelly, ect.) It is like, I can see the wall in my head. It is almost tangiable, the artists block that is developing. Which sucks, seeing as I haven't even had an art class yet. I want to do something deeper, create something that is legitimately great work.. not something that is passed over and shoved in the middle, the place where the mediocre go to die. I don't know what to do. I hate it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura Basson. You are a brilliant artist. And now you're finally given the opportunity to enjoy art the way you want to. You will figure out what to do when you need to. Just give it some time, sing some songs, do a little dance, take a couple pictures, and your project will come to you. and it'll be fan-freaking-tastic! <3

Katy said...

I know Im late and your assignment is already done but maybe this can help in the future. When thinking about things, obvious ideas always come to mind, and trying to think of something outside the box can be hard. Thinking abstractly can always help, which is easier said than done, I know. For the example of things that compliment each other for example though, instead of thinking "nail and hammer" and things of things that exist, try thinking broadly. For example, the idea of a beginning and end compliment each other, or night and idea, IE, opposites, because one cannot exist without the other, which is a different spin on the word "compliment". Anyways, I hope this helps :)